Monday, May 5, 2014

5 of Wands - The Conflict Spread

When you practice or connect with your cards, what do you do if you have nothing to ask?

Here's one solution. Ask the cards. Shuffle the deck, pull one card, and form a question or create a spread based on the card you pull.

The Five of Wands presents conflict, tension, and competition. A lot of energy is being used, or wasted, by the boys as they compete with one another.

But wait, are they fighting?

Perhaps, they are brainstorming on how to accomplish something together. Conflict and tensions rise as they devise a plan. Each boy has a separate idea and a different role to play, but for it all to work they must join together and agree.

This made me think of internal conflicts.

As you approach a new project, a new relationship, or even take a trip to a new location, do you weigh the options of the approach and sometimes even the possible outcomes?

At the beginning of the year, I found myself struggling for the best approach to certain areas of my life. I've come away with the knowledge that all the worry in the world won't change the direction or outcome. If anything, it slows the progression. Now when I find myself fretting over things I have no 'real' control over, I close my eyes and say, "Let it go, Let it be." It's working at the moment, keeping me balanced and sane.

All of this leads us to a tarot spread based on the 5 of Wands.

Positions - 1.Where am I wasting energy, 2. Where should I focus my energy, 3. What is my greatest weakness, 4. What is my greatest strength, 5. How can I end the conflict.

I've laid the cards out in a horseshoe shape. You should have a focus topic for this spread.



Focus: My Creative Writing

1) Where am I wasting energy - 2 of Wands reversed

I'm wasting energy by doubting my plan, over-thinking the situation, and being unsure of my direction. Basically, I'm thinking too far ahead, worrying over the outcome.

2) Where should I focus my energy - 7 of Pentacles

I should focus my energy on getting the job done, take short breaks to assess the progress, and acknowledge my past achievements.

3) What is my greatest weakness - 9 of Cups

My greatest weakness is wanting too much, putting too much focus on the rewards.

4) What is my greatest strength - 6 of Cups

My greatest strength is my ability to look at the past and recognize how far I've come. Or, this could signify my inner child, my creativity. Either way, I'm strong because of my past and my ability to create.

5) How can I end the conflict - Strength

To end the conflict, to bring it all together, I need to be patient, be strong, and have faith in myself.

Overview- I waste energy thinking about the situation. I should focus my energy on doing the first task, and then I can take a moment to assess the situation and plan for the next step.  I need to quit focusing on the possible rewards and future. Instead I should recognize how far I've come and allow my inner child to lead the way. I have the strength to achieve success, but I must be patient when it comes to progress and have faith in my abilities. Building a writing career takes a lot of work, patience, and faith. Only the strong can survive.
-------------------
What question do you get when looking at the 5 of Wands? Did you develop a Tarot Spread from this card? I'd love to hear what you did with exercise.

4 comments:

Ellen said...

Sometimes I see this card as a representative of my "monkey mind"
The part of me that never shuts up.
I like this idea of using the first card as your "question card"
I would probable lay out a three card spread: 1 What is the most pressing issue right now? 2 what to do with the other issues? What is the next step with card 1 in mind

Cher Green said...

Ellen,

"Monkey Mind", I like that. I've got one of those, but I usually just call it my inner demon. He's always leading me into pain or worry.

Love your three card spread. I'll have to try it out. :)

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

This stuff is very interesting, Cher. We still haven't sold our house, but we will!

Cher Green said...

Joylene, Sorry to hear about the house. So, are you still staying there? Or, did you move?